Couples Therapy / Marriage Counselling
In Couples Therapy and Marriage Counselling we use a semi structured approach to address certain important issues in a couples’ relationship.
Couples therapy is a means of resolving problems and down with a therapist to discuss their thoughts and feelings and to examine their relationship closely.
Couples therapy focuses on the problems existing in the relationship between two people. Relationship problems always involve individual issues and problems, as well as the relationship conflicts.
The Focus in Couples Therapy/ Marriage Counselling is on:
- Finding mutual respect and understanding
- Developing effective communication skills
- Exploring different problem solving strategies
- Learning to express needs effectively
- Ensuring collaborative growth
- Discovering a shared vision
Find Mutual Respect and Understanding
A Mutual respect and understanding should form the basis of the relationship.
Develop Effective Communication Skills
Effective communication skills can help a couple to understand one another better and to learn to listen more closely.
Explore Different Problem Solving Strategies
Good problem solving skills are vital to building a successful relationship.
Learn to Express Needs effectively
A couple can learn to express their needs more effectively and thereby create realistic expectations from one another.
Ensure Collaborative Growth
Helping each other to grow in their own person and as a couple can strengthen the bond in a relationship.
Discover a Shared Vision
When living with a shared vision a couple can work toward mutual goals and have a sense of direction for the future.
In Couples Therapy, the therapist will help the couple to identify the conflict issues within their relationship, and assist them to decide what changes are needed, in the relationship and in the behaviour of each partner, for both partners to feel satisfied with the relationship.
The Goals in Couples Therapy/ Marriage Counselling is for a couple to:
- gain a better understanding of themselves and their partner,
- to decide if they need and want to make changes, and if so, to help them to do so,
- become more truthful with themselves
- develop new strategies for dealing with issues
- learn effective communication skills
- set better boundaries and learn to resolve their problems in a constructive way.
- find clarity on how to proceed in the future while taking lessons from the past
- be in a loving, caring and understanding relationship with one another and themselves
Couples must learn how to avoid competing with each other, and need to identify common life goals and how to share responsibilities within their relationship. Sometimes the process is very similar to individual psychotherapy, sometimes it is more like mediation, and sometimes it is educational.
Duration of Couples Therapy/ Marriage Counselling
The duration of Couples Therapy can be anything from a few sessions to about twelve sessions with follow up sessions there after. The duration of couples therapy will be determined by the honesty and openness of the couple as well as their ability to take part in the therapeutic process.
Cost of Couples Therapy/ Marriage Counselling
Please visit the Fee’s page on this website for the costs of couples therapy/ marriage counselling .